TUESDAY, 8/14:
Cool when we got up – turned the furnace
on! Sky was somewhat overcast, but spots
of blue. We thought there was a good
chance that most of the clouds would dissipate and sunny, blue skies would
prevail. So we decided to take a second
jeep tour. Bill really wanted to do the
Red Mountain tour, as the views from on top of Red Mtn III are supposed to be
amazing – 360 degree views. And he had
checked earlier, and a tour was scheduled to go up to Red Mtn this morning.
So we joined them. Our driver was Keith again, and he
immediately recognized & remembered us.
The other passengers were an unmarried couple somewhat younger than us
(he from Dallas, she from Okla), and 4 women who were travelling together.
This trip took us 13 miles down Million
Dollar Hwy (Hwy 550) to start the jeep trail up the mountains. I didn’t think the ride up the mountains was
as beautiful as the Imogene trip, but once you got to the top, it was as
advertised – you could see miles in every direction. It was still somewhat overcast, though, so we
didn’t have sharp, crystal clear views.
But certainly clear enough that you could make out most everything. Bill loved the openness & expansiveness
of this trip.
On the way down, we stopped at a lot of
historical mining sites, and could see the remains of mining equipment,
buildings, even a railroad. There was
more emphasis on the mining aspect of the entire Red Mountain area. I think Keith said this was one of the last
areas to continue mining, after others had stopped. Many millions of $$ worth of gold and other
minerals came out of this area – worth billions in today’s $$. One of the claims was by the Vanderbilt
family.
On
both this trip and our first, there were portions of the jeep roads where there
were steep drop-off’s, but for some reason I felt very little anxiety. I could actually look down and appreciate the
awesome views. Can’t figure out why – is it because I was closer to the
ground? Because I had wider views? Because I somehow trusted a professional driver
more? Or maybe I’m just becoming
de-sensitized to the whole height thing, having been in these mountains now for
a couple of weeks. Anyway, I’m just glad
and grateful, because I really enjoyed the entire experience of these
jeep trips.
Fixed pb&j sandwiches for lunch,
and then napped for a little. Then did 3
loads of laundry. Grilled pork steaks
for dinner. It remained overcast &
cloudy & cool all day. Not our first
choice of weather, especially for the jeep ride, but at least it didn’t rain on
us. A couple of local people I talked
to thought that they might have an early fall here this year (i.e., the aspens
would turn in about 3 weeks), because it’s turned cooler than normal. But they said it was anybody’s guess – the
whole summer was not typical . . . first the long dry spell, and now a lot of
rain & cooler days.
No comments:
Post a Comment