SUNDAY, 9/23:
Well, we didn’t wake up til nearly 8:00.
Since the worship service at GCNP began at 9:00, and it takes us an hour
to get to the Lodge, we obviously weren’t going to make it. We were disappointed, because we’d like to
have had that time together with other believers from all over the U.S., if not
the world.
Since we missed that, and it was a very
overcast day, we just took our time having a lazy morning – felt in no hurry to
get to GCNP. I tried washing my hair in
our RV shower for the first time, since the showers here charge something like
$2.25 for 5 minutes. They have to have
all their water carried in here, so are very frugal with it. I’ve always used the RV parks’ showers for
washing my hair – I take as much time as I want – a little luxury I allow
myself. But now I had a time limit, as
our hot water wouldn’t run indefinitely.
I barely made it before it started running out!
I typed the last 2 or 3 days’ worth of
journal entries here (we can use Word & Excel – just no internet), while
Bill read.
About 1:00,we drove into GCNP. Even though we’re an hour away and it seems
like a pain to have to drive to far twice a day (not to mention the gas), the
plus side is that we get to drive through these gorgeous groves of pines, fir,
spruce, and of course Aspens.
We drove straight to the GCNP campground,
where the little general store is located.
It’s there that the North Rim’s WiFi hotspot is located. Found a place inside, where we could plug in
the laptop, since we knew we’d be there for a while. Had a list of things to do and check on the
Internet, including posting the blog & uploading the pictures for it. It was a perfect time to spend a couple of
hours here . . . was drizzling a little outside, was quiet and cozy and
intimate inside. They serve coffee
there, and had CD’s of Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and a couple of other
classic CW artists. It really sounded
nice and soothing, and appropriate for the environment.
Because it took some time to upload
each picture, I looked for something to read from their book section while
waiting. I grabbed one called Ranger Confidential, written by a former
National Parks Ranger. It’s about the
darker side of being a Park Ranger – especially in the big western heavily
populated parks like Yosemite and the Grand Canyon, where she says that she,
and other fellow rangers, became haunted and traumatized by the tragedies they
routinely encountered in those places.
She also talks about other stressors in the job. But primarily the former. Her writing style is exactly what instantly
hooks me – understatement, irony, sections of dry comic relief, and no
artificial sentimentality. So of course
I had to purchase the book to take with me. Compelling, even though unsettling
and even terrifying. After we got home,
I read almost half of it. I told Bill
that I just hope it doesn’t give me nightmares.
He’d picked up another book while waiting, Death in the Grand Canyon, a huge volume written more in a
journalistic style chronicling virtually every death in recorded history in the
Grand Canyon, and showed it to me. I
could only skim a small part of that – was too troubling. Most of us know somewhere in the back of our
minds that falls, heat stroke, drownings do occur in places like the Grand
Canyon. But when you’re actually here,
and then read the grim statistics, and read the particular details of each
individual death, it’s very sobering. And of course, the vast
majority were easily avoidable – they almost all involved some blatant
disregard of the rules and cautions posted everywhere, as well as plain common sense
. . . leaving the trail, going past guard rails, showing off or goofing
off for others . . . And a good number,
predictably, involved alcohol. But still . . . tragic and haunting.
Well, on that happy note, we finished our
computer work and left the general store.
It was starting to clear somewhat.
Drove over to the Lodge. Bill
wanted to attend a 5:30 talk there on Grand Canyon photography. It was held
outside on the patio, so I just grabbed a couple of chairs facing the Canyon
and saved one for him. Got a couple of
slices of pizza from the little deli, and settled in to enjoy the sunset. The sunset itself was very beautiful . . .
and though not extraordinary, the light it cast on the canyon rocks was the
best we’d seen. Still a lot of low
clouds blocking some of the sinking sun’s light. But Bill was happy with some of the shots he
got.
Pappy was happy to see us when we got home
about 8:00.
No comments:
Post a Comment